Palliative Care and Hospice Care
There comes a time when we all have to say goodbye to a loved one. Receiving Palliative Care Services can help everyone get through this challenging time.
End of life care not only ensures the comfort of your loved one in their final days, but it helps you spend as much time with them as possible. By choosing to have their end of life care take place in their home, your loved one will be able to enjoy their final moments in the presence of their family, friends, pets, and possessions.
At Retire-At-Home Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, our goal is to maintain your loved one’s dignity and privacy during the extent of their care. Our caregivers offer respite to the family by handling household tasks, managing meals, and taking care of your loved one’s personal care.
What is Palliative Care?
Palliative Care (or Hospice Care) is defined as the compassionate care of a patient and family when a cure is no longer possible. Our Palliative Care Services are arranged so that those suffering from a terminal illness can instead focus on comfort and their quality of life. Our certified Nurses and Caregivers are dedicated to providing compassionate, holistic care that both exceeds the clients’ expectations and improves their quality of life.
Palliative Care strives to help clients and families:
- Address physical, psychological, social, spiritual and practical issues, and their associated expectations, needs, hopes, and fears;
- Prepare for and manage self-determined life closure and the dying process;
- Cope with loss and grief during the illness and bereavement.
Palliative Care aims to:
- Monitor and manage ongoing issues and concerns related to the client’s health and well-being;
- Provide preventative measures and continuity of care for complete comfort of the client;
- Promote opportunities for meaningful and valuable experiences, personal and spiritual growth, and self-actualization.
Retire-At-Home advocates for palliative care for anyone living with a terminal illness, regardless of age. When you are ready to accept help, we’ll be there.
Our total care approach to Palliative Care or Hospice Care in Kitchener, Waterloo and Cambridge includes:
- Daily monitoring of the client’s health and revision of their care plan as needed;
- Assistance with pain management;
- Regular sponge bathing and personal care;
- Mouth care;
- Positioning and repositioning in bed to promote skin integrity;
- Monitoring of and assistance with dietary needs;
- Regular communication with palliative care doctors and other health professionals involved;
- Regular communication with family members;
- Assurance of the dignity, respect, and privacy of the client as per their direction and religious beliefs;
- Arrangements for Home Medical Equipment and Supplies;
- Assurance of consistency of care by filling in the gaps with public services.